Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Trial, Day 2

Judge John E. Jones III will hear testimony today from parents Tammy Kitzmiller and Aralene "Barrie" Callahan, both plaintiffs in the case. Kitmiller has said that she is involved with this case "to take a stand for a sound science education for my child."

"Each year" says Kitzmiller, "the US science and math scores fall further behind the rest of the world. ID, introduced as a 'scientific' explanation, would only increase that gap. I've always encouraged my children to explore new ideas, try new things, to think outside of the box. But at the same time, I've stressed the importance of education and having a firm knowledge of the basics. To have a school muddy the waters of science - when within the scientific community there is no controversy - left me greatly disappointed. When and where my children learn about theological ideas should be my decision, not the Dover Area School Board's."


Hear from other parents involved with the case.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, excellent statement! If only politicians would stop trying to score points with our childrens' education! I think it's admirable for these parents to stand up for the education of all the students. Aren't we having enough problems with the basics? Why do we need to confuse students more?

As a former teacher, I say keep the teaching to the people who have degrees in it, and not those nuts on the board.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Lutheran Clergywoman in a neighboring community to Dover and with master's degrees in both theology and the biological sciences (from a former career) I want to say thanks for the efforts of the ACLU and for the courage of the plaintiffs. I spent some time this past summer teaching an adult forum in my congregation about the issues, especially the untenetable wording of the Dover schoolboard statement. I think I helped my congrgation understand that we do not do justice to scienctific inquiry nor give honor to God by doing what Dover has done. keep on keeping on.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Rev Reeves! You are a true voice of reason crying in the wilderness. I personally do not ascribe to your world view, but I certainly agree with your "Render unto Caeser" spirit. Any chance you could get through to the wack-jobs at the DI and explain that science and religion do not have to be mutually exclusive?

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home